Re: t and nil in pure memory?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: t and nil in pure memory?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:53:28 -0500

On Nov 15, 2009, at 20:34, Stefan Monnier wrote:
The big problem in GC is the trashing of the memory system due to
setting/resetting and reading the mark bits...

Could be as well.  In that case, maybe we should move all the markbits
to separate bitvectors like we have for cons and floats.

There are lots of changes, major or minor, that might be worth exploring. Prefetching, putting mark bits on different words or pages, tri-color schemes, incremental marking, generational GC, etc., etc. But maybe we should also consider a more drastic change: Use Hans Boehm's GC library. (Guile has recently switched to using it. So if my Guile-Emacs work ever catches on, use of bdw-gc would happen as a side effect.) If it doesn't simply make the performance someone else's problem to focus on, it at least lets us share the workload with a wider community.

Ken