Re: Defcustoms, how do users find them?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Defcustoms, how do users find them?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:26:40 -0500

> I tested this a little. Loading the new cus-load.el now takes about
> 2.5 times longer time than before. (This is an old pc, it now takes
> 0.5 sec.) There are approx 15 000 put statements (before there were
> approx 1000).

> Is this the way to go to get completion etc for unloaded options (and faces)?

I think the basic idea is right, but I think that using `put' for those
variables is not a good idea (it makes the cus-load.el file large and
slow).  It's probably preferable to build a single alist associating
file names to the list of vars defined in them (or maybe a hash-table).

Of course, I haven't tried it, so it may end up being just as slow/big.

        Stefan