extensions to lisp-mnt.el

From: Jonas Bernoulli
Subject: extensions to lisp-mnt.el
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 22:05:38 +0100

Hello,

A "long" time ago I wrote `elx.el' an extension to `lisp-mnt.el'. From
it's commentary.

;; This extends library `lisp-mnt', which is only suitable for libraries
;; that closely follow the header conventions.  Unfortunately there are
;; many libraries that do not - this library tries to cope with that.

Some of the things that this library does could probably be merged
into `lisp-mnt':
(Here I use the lm- prefix though my library uses elx- which stands
for emacs lisp extract).

* lm-with-file: execute BODY in current-buffer not only if FILE is nil
but also if it is equal to `file-buffer-name'
  This is useful when several lm-* have to be called. Just set FILE to
nil you say? Well some functions
  require the file name for other things than just opening the file.
* lm-summary: optionally standardize returned string
* lm-commentary: cleanup the returned string some more
* lm-license: extract the license if it known (a short string :-)
* lm-adapted-by: like lm-maintainer
* I have reimplemented some of the functions already defined in
lisp-mnt.el, because the originals where buggy, I would have to figure
out which these are though.

Some additions which probably can't go into `lisp-mnt.el' without some
prior work (or at all):

* elx-created, elx-updated: return date when library was created last updated
* elx-require, elx-provide: return list of required/provided features
(regex search)
* elx-version[+>]: extract version, the functions with a suffix are useful

If some of these modifications/additions seam interesting I can create
patches.  I just wanted to ask first before I start working on it.

Best regards,

Jonas