Re: Completions in Semantic

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: Completions in Semantic
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 07:13:56 -0500

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 01:12 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> > Ok, I might say something totally stupid, but you just need to map the UI
> > actions to specific keys, which can be selected by the user. And on the
>
> It's not stupid, but the question is how/where to put the hooks that
> allow the particular UI backend to setup such bindings.  For minibuffer
> completion, we have minibuffer-local-completion-map, but for in-buffer
> completion we have no such thing (standard in-buffer completion like
> lisp-complete-symbol doesn't use a keymap).

This is where an OO like system (built on something like EIEIO with data
and methods) would be ideal.  If someone needs to specialize completion,
they just subclass, and override the bit they need.

Instead of calling a built-in core completion method, users would
subclass the core completion object, and then override the bits they
need to make a new completion engine.

This would be easier to design now than divining all future hook names
and finding a way to make a function call with an extensible number of
hook/action types.

Eric