Re: emacs 23.1 not responding, known bug?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: emacs 23.1 not responding, known bug?
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:47:37 +0900

Dave Milter writes:

 > I wonder is it possible to start emacs under gdb, and find out what
 > elisp code working now, if press Ctrl+C when it hangup and not
 > responding?

Run "gdb emacs" from the ./src directory, or source the .gdbinit file
that you'll find there if you've started from elsewhere.  (If you have
a hung process or a corefile already you can use "gdb emacs <pid-or-core>"
to examine the zombie process or corpse.)  Then just "run" in gdb and
you'll get a normal session.  I'm not familiar with the Emacs
facilities, but "help user-defined" will tell you what commands have
been defined.  I image there will be a "lisp-stack-trace" command or
something like that which will give you the Lisp stack.

To get to gdb when Emacs is hung, C-z probably works as usual, or you
can use kill -TSTP <Emacs PID> from a terminal on *nix systems.