Re: emacs won't open files at startup from command line

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: emacs won't open files at startup from command line
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 21:35:36 +0100

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:53 PM, J. David Boyd <address@hidden> wrote:
> address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:
>
>> address@hidden (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

>>> Also, the OP could try:
>>>
>>>     emacs --debug-init file.txt
>>>
>>> If the file is not open it might be because there's a bug in ~/.emacs
>>

>> That I have tried.  No errors at all...  I was hoping that there would
>> be one, but everything loads just fine, no errors, just doesn't load the
>> file(s) named on the command line.
>>
>> Thanks for the idea, though.
>
> Found it!  I've been calling table.el for years, but somehow it must be
> incompatible with emacs 23.1.1.  Took that out, works great.  Never used
> the functionality in it anyway...
>
> Dave

The file table.el is included in Emacs now.

This is not the first time I have seen quite interesting side effects
from using old versions of a file that has later been included in
Emacs. I think that some test should be made after startup for
potential such loadings. (This could be run conditionally after all
init files.)