Re: Customizing the mode line

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Customizing the mode line
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:45:10 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Annoyingly, a large part of the real estate of the mode line is taken
> by information that is much less important, like the percentage of the
> file before the window start and the list of minor modes in effect.

The major and minor mode indicators are important.  For instance, there
must be a visible indicator of whether overwrite mode is on, because if
you toggle it frequently, you may forget whether it's currently on.

> And when I read mail, I see something like "RMAIL XXXX/YYYY answered,
> deleted"; when replying to mail it's "Mail Fly Abbrev Fill", etc.
> These are very long strings that I don't need to see all the time,

The gnus and rmail mode line formats definitely need to be improved, I
agree.

By the way, since we're complaining about the mode-line: I find the
sequence of "----" characters at the end of the mode-line hideous.  I
wouldn't object to removing them for graphical displays (they're
probably necessary for terminal displays).