Re: EDE regenerates autotools files to often

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re: EDE regenerates autotools files to often
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:23:09 -0400

On Wed, 2009-10-28 at 15:22 +0100, Sascha Wilde wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I finally got around[0] to switch back to bug reporting mode for
> CEDET/EDE again as promised...
>
> Here is the first (a minor) one:
>
> It seems that EDE automake projects re-invoke autoreconf on every build
> command (ede-compile-target, ede-compile-project, ede-make-dist).
> This takes a serious amount of time.
>
> I vaguely recall having seen code in CEDET which tried to avoid
> superfluous steps during build but I haven't verified that it is
> supposed to work for autoreconf...
>
> cheers
> sascha
>
> [0] sometimes getting the flu has its advantages, too  :)

Hi,

  Your previous bugs indicated that we needed to call autoreconf all the
time.  A side effect was that the auto scale-back of calling the
miscellaneous autoconf features was removed.

I would guess that there is some simple algorithm that could be used,
but I don't know what it might be as I haven't looked into it much.

We could also make it the responsibility of the user to choose which
kind of compile to do.

Eric