Re: Custom themes and simple variables

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Custom themes and simple variables
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 19:05:54 +0200

* Chong Yidong (2009-10-23) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I assume the problem is due to a variable defined with `defvar' not
>> being supported by the Custom machinery, so this is likely not a bug.
>> Would there nevertheless be a possibility to handle such variables
>> cleanly with custom themes?
>
> Any variable that should be supported by Custom (including both
> "vanilla" Custom and Custom themes) ought to be declared with defcustom.
> Is there any reason the variables you are trying to work with are
> `defvar'ed instead?

There is a built-in list of viewers the user can choose from.  And this
list is not supposed to be changed by the user.  Therefore it is
declared with `defvar'.  (The user can add or overwrite viewers in a
separate, customizable variable which is defined with `defcustom'.)

The idea now is that the list of predefined viewers only contains
viewers for the chosen platform.  Per default viewers available on
GNU/Linux would be offered but if a theme for MiKTeX on Windows were
enabled, only viewers available on Windows would be displayed.

--
Ralf