Re: Completions in Semantic

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Completions in Semantic
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 16:12:09 -0400

> I don't know about the features of current code, but I miss some
> features on some (if not all) the completion interfaces I've tested.
> So here's a list of (my) desired features (all of which should be
> configurable by the user):

Sounds interesting, but I must be missing some context because there's
a lot of references I don't understand.  Could you expand on them?

> - symbol name
>   Of course, this is what already provides every completion UI

No idea what you're talking about here.

> - extra information
>   This can be filled ub with symbol "metadata".  Which metadata
>   appears on the completion UI should be configurable by the user:
>     - return type
>     - arguments (type and/or name)
>     - definition location (aka file)
>     - short documentation
>     - long documentation
>   All this metadata should be located anywhere around the symbol name
>   and/or the minibuffer (e.g., I think company-mode shows short
>   documentation on minibuffer, until user presses F1, when full
>   documentation is shown.  Some metadata might be shown in the
>   minibuffer after completion selection (e.g., prototype).

Oh... wait, are you talking specifically about completion in code
buffers, so "symbol name" above referred to the ability to complete an
identifier?
As for this "extra info", I see what you mean, but usually completion
involves several potential candidates, so listing them all plus all
their info would take way too much space in general (if not, then
something like completion-annotate-function should work).  So usually
this extra info is provided outside of the completion functionality
(e.g. via eldoc-mode or something similar).  But, yes, I'd like to
extend the *Completions* buffer so that you could ask for more info
(either on all entries, or just on one at a time).

> - result narrowing
>   A-la company-mode.

No idea to what this is referring.

> - argument placeholders So that argument type and/or name is shown as
> placeholders, such that the user simply TABs (or whatever) to fill-in
> the blanks.

Idem.  Unless you mean something like skeletons/templates, but then
I fail to see the connection with completion.

        Stefan