server-start and server-name doesn't seem to work

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: server-start and server-name doesn't seem to work
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 13:07:20 -0500

Looking thru emacs manual for a way to start a server and name it from
a running emacs session like one can do from command line with

  emacs --daemon=name

I found  a section of the manual under Using Emacs as a Server
(info "(emacs)Emacs Server")

The last paragraph that says:

     You can run multiple Emacs servers on the same machine by giving
  each one a unique "server name", using the variable `server-name'.  For
  example, `M-x set-variable <RET> server-name <RET> foo <RET>' sets the
  server name to `foo'.  The `emacsclient' program can specify a server by
  name, using the `-s' option (*note emacsclient Options::).

But that doesn't appear to work here. (Running yesterdays CVS of
emacs)

After M-x server-start

If I do M-x set-variable <RET> server-name <RET> foo <RET>

I get an error saying:
set-variable: Value `foo' does not match type string of server-name

Here is the debugger output:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Value `foo' does not match type string of
server-name")
  signal(error ("Value `foo' does not match type string of server-name"))
  error("Value `%S' does not match type %S of %S" foo string server-name)
  set-variable(server-name foo nil)
  call-interactively(set-variable t nil)
  execute-extended-command(nil)
  call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)