VC / Git: amend function / mark for add / timing

From: David Reitter
Subject: VC / Git: amend function / mark for add / timing
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:30:28 -0500

It would be nice if VC provided a function to add the "--amend" argument to "git commit" so that the last commit is amended. This is useful when one forgets to check in file, especially after using C-x v v to commit a single file. The logical binding I thought of at first was C-u C-x v v, but that seems to do something else.

Also, it's not obvious at all from the menu how to mark the file in the current buffer for addition, i.e. do a "git add". Is this possible at all?

Finally, it takes several seconds when I open a file that's under git version control. What can we do about this? I think I complained about it at some point, and we didn't find a solution. I'd rather have VC functions blocked until the file status is obtained (asynchronically) rather than having to wait before I can do any viewing/editing on the file. (But this particular solution would require a number of changes.)

Many thanks for improving vc-git!