Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Bidirectional editing in Emacs -- main design decisions
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:13:48 +0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
4. Reordering of text for display

Does the function font-shape-gstring help with fitting this in?

8. User control of visual order
I decided it was unjustified to deviate from UAX#9. Its algorithm
 already provides the solution to this problem: users can always
 control the visual order by inserting special formatting codes at
 strategic places.

Couldn't Emacs by default use the clever heuristics to decide when to automatically insert the special formatting codes? It would have to be optional and undoable of course, because heuristics are never perfect, but it seems to me as a naive non-speaker of RTL languages that to DWIM in these edge cases is the right behaviour.

Also you mention several times that the special direction change codes are not displayed, but there should be an option to display them IMHO, (perhaps part of whitespace.el) as users may need to distinguish between explicit direction changes and implicit ones in some circumstances.