Re: Changes in lisp/Makefile.in to skip preloaded files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Changes in lisp/Makefile.in to skip preloaded files
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:15:49 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:00:44 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > If it was important enough to do for Posix platforms, it is important
> > enough for all platforms, IMO.
>
> "non-Posix" platforms supported by Emacs == Windows?

Yes, at least that.  (I simply don't know what other platforms might
have trouble with that.  MSDOS uses the same code as Posix.)

> I have locally implemented your 'echo' idea. I haven't installed it
> because it might break the Windows build, if it can't handle the long
> command line.

You cannot break the Windows build, since Windows does not use any of
the Makefile.in files.

> (What is the length limit?)

It depends on the Windows version and the shell used.  Modern Windows
systems have a 32KB limit, assuming no weird shell is installed.

> Anyway, what was the solution that you had in mind for this?

Is this still an issue, given that you installed a different method?