Re: Tramp and recursive file operations

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and recursive file operations
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 07:10:37 +0200

yary <address@hidden> writes:

>> A copy-directory function does not exist. What about allowing the first
>> parameter of copy-file to be a directory name? This would imply to copy
>> recursively.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> Is there any existing code that may be using the error-check in
> copy-file to ensure that the first arg is not a directory? I like the
> idea of making the existing copy-file smart enough to "do the right
> thing" when the first argument is a dir, but it could need an optional
> RECURSIVE parameter if and only if other callers rely on it rejecting
> directories.

We don't know what people are doing outside the Emacs core packages with
copy-file. So I cannot answer your question.

Adding a RECURSIVE parameter might be an option; OTOH copy-file has
already a long list, and it would be inconvenient to count the number of
nil until you can say t for RECURSIVE. That's why I prefer to introduce
copy-directory.

> -y

Best regards, Michael.