Re: Emacs Package Management

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Emacs Package Management
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:07:55 -0600

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Stefan> So basically, the installation process would distinguish the following
Stefan> steps:
Stefan> - install: may include byte-compiling and things like that
Stefan> - activate: eval the autoload declarations, adjust the load-path, ...
Stefan> - make available: setup the .emacs so that the package gets activated
Stefan> at startup.

>> package.el does this.

Stefan> You mean that it "does" all those steps, right?
Stefan> Not that it "distinguishes" them, right?  IOW, it collapses "activate"
Stefan> and "make available" into a single entity.

Yeah, sorry about that.

The reason it is this way is just that I thought the UI was better.
Few people have asked for a separate "deactivated" state.

Naturally, it is implementable.  I still think the default on
installation should be to activate; requiring two steps seems
user-unfriendly.

Tom