Re: update-subdirs and lisp/term

From: joakim
Subject: Re: update-subdirs and lisp/term
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:10:29 +0200

>     > Omitting this directory speeds up searches for other files.
>
>     This might have been a good reason back when term/ was the only
>     subdirectory in lisp/ (Emacs 19.x).  But nowadays we have 21
>     subdirectories besides term/ (and soon we will have 5 more).  Does a
>     single directory really make a difference?
>
> It makes some difference; why make even a small slowdown
> for all the users just for a small simplification?
>
> Perhaps it would be useful to design some other way to
> speed up the search for files.

I havent thought this through very well, but I would be interested in a
mechanism that speeds up searching for files, as well as dealing with
various file names issues, for embedded devices. I was thinking this
could be done with some kind of lisp reader that consults and index file
and reads the elisp files from an archive(like a tar file).

--
Joakim Verona