cperl-mode refresh from Ilya Z?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: cperl-mode refresh from Ilya Z?
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 15:41:03 -0500

I talked to Ilya Zakharevich, the author of cperl-mode who maintains his
version separately.  Pretty much everyone using Perl is a fan of Ilya's
version of cperl-mode, and it's the basis of lots of work for Perl 6
support and other features.  See the EmacsWiki for more details:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CPerlMode

My question is, why not include Ilya's cperl-mode in Emacs?  He said the
coding style was not OKd for inclusion at the time he proposed it, but I
can't find the original discussion rejecting it (any pointers are
appreciated).  In any case, I think it's better to discuss his
cperl-mode and perhaps bring its changes into Emacs than to keep two
divergent versions of the mode with the same name in existence.  The
current situation is unnecessarily confusing to the users and doesn't
benefit Emacs IMO.  Of course, I don't know all the details of why
Ilya's code was rejected.

Thanks
Ted