RE: make-variable-buffer-local change

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: make-variable-buffer-local change
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:35:48 -0700

>   Documentation:
>   String to display in buffer listings for buffers not
>   visiting a file.
>   Dired, shell and other modes use this variable.

Interesting that the doc string would say that Dired uses this. It does not,
AFAICT - it _sets_ this var, so that others, such as buff-menu can use it. The
same thing holds for shell, AFAICT.

"Use" here should mean uses the variable to display its value in a buffer
listing (as the first part of the doc string suggests).

I had to grep the code to see if maybe Dired was now displaying non-file buffers
also, a la buff-menu. ;-)

IOW, the only modes the doc string mentions as examples of using this variable
do not in fact use it - they do not display buffer listings at all. Instead,
they merely set the value so that others can use it.

The places where this is used are the places where buffers are listed:
buff-menu, the menu-bar Buffers menu, and the `C-mouse-1' buffers menu.

Please correct the doc string accordingly.