Re: Emacs inotify support?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs inotify support?
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 05:49:42 -0400

    > What happens if the file whose line point is on gets renamed?  That
    > seems like a mergeable difference, but you might be a bit surprised to
    > see the line move to some other position in the buffer.

    Most file managers automatically update changed files and that
    doesn't surprise users.

The precise details of display format can have a big effect on whether
the update bothers users, and how much.

Ultimately, the only way to judge whether it bothers users too much
is to try it.  But we should POLL THE USERS before enabling it by default.