Re: Emacs Package Management

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Emacs Package Management
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 21:22:53 +0200

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Tom,

> Tassilo> So when I run emacs 22, package.el would show version 0.8 of
> Tassilo> my-package, with emacs 23 it would show version 1.0, and with
> Tassilo> emacs 21 it wouldn't be shown as not installable.
>
> I didn't do this, either.  I think few people bounce between Emacs
> versions this way.

The problem is not that people frequently switch versions, but that some
distros like RedHat Enterprise Linux still ship with Emacs 21.  For
example org-mode dropped emacs 21 support at 6.27, so version 6.26
should be displayed in package.el running in emacs 21, although the
newest version is 6.30.

Bye,
Tassilo