Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port

From: CHENG Gao
Subject: Re: Emacs 22 Carbon+AppKit port and Emacs 23 Mac port
Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 02:11:10 +0800

*On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 11:18:16 +0900
* Also sprach YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <address@hidden>:

> The second update of the Mac port, which is experimental/hackers-only,
> is also available from
>
>     ftp://ftp.math.s.chiba-u.ac.jp/emacs/emacs-23.1-mac-1.92.tar.gz
>
> In addition to the bug fixes and improvements above, it has the
> following experimental feature (only for Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard):
>
> *** New implementation for the `select' emulation using Grand Central
> Dispatch instead of CFSocket.  It is enabled by default if built for
> Mac OS X 10.6.  If you find it unstable/problematic, then you can turn
> it off by compiling with "-DSELECT_USE_GCD=0".
>
> There is a change in how to report bugs.  Please read `README-mac' in
> the tarball.
>
>                                    YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
>                               address@hidden

I just learned that Apple just open sourced GCD under Apache License,
Version 2.0[1]. If I understand right, Apache License 2.0 is GPLv3
compatible by FSF standard.

So this means Emacs can use it on most platforms it supports (maybe some
day)?

Footnotes:
[1]  http://libdispatch.macosforge.org/post/libdispatch-is-open-source/

--