Re: new Emacs HELLO file??

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: new Emacs HELLO file??
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:53:46 +0900

address@hidden writes:

 > `iso-2022-7bit' has been adopted for HELLO file, as it could contain CJK
 > variants differently, but if we are to go into depth of various scripts
 > and symbols that ISO-2022 does not support, we could only use UTF.

ISO 2022 supports Unicode via the "incompatible encodings" control
sequence (I forget the exact name and escape sequence).  I don't know
if Emacs's iso-2022-* coding systems support it, but it's not hard to
add in the unlikely case that you don't have it already.

IMO, a better way to do this would be to change the HELLO file to be a
Lisp library, and encode it in UTF-8.  The table of greetings can
simply be wrapped into a string, and add a table of "languages we have
preferred fonts for" in Lisp.