Re: Status of IPA patch?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Status of IPA patch?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 23:17:52 -0400

>> > I don't know why your patch wasn't accepted. Maybe you have no legal
>> > papers, or it's because you need to split it to two steps where the first
>> > step is the conversion to utf-8. Also since all input methods in Emacs
>> > are grouped by their name prefix, the names of new IPA input methods
>> > should be "ipa-kirshenbaum" and "ipa-x-sampa".
>> To make completion harder?
> No, common prefixes make completion easier.

Not necessarily.  It makes "shortest unique prefix" longer, so you may
end up having to type more in order to select a particular value.
E.g. compare "C-u C-\ ki RET" to " "C-u C-\ ip-k RET".

>> I’ve signed papers assigning all my Emacs work to GNU; twice, in fact.
>> http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden and
>> http://mid.gmane.org/address@hidden for the two
>> relevant timeframes. If the two-steps thing was an issue, no-one actually
>> said that, Stefan just asked for clarification about what I was doing.
> Thank you for your efforts.  I hope Stefan will decide what to do
> with your patch now.

The problem is that I'm not in a position to judge.  If nobody see
a problem with it, feel free to install it.

        Stefan