Re: New sync'd branch

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: New sync'd branch
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 02:33:52 -0400

On Aug 27, 2009, at 00:47, Miles Bader wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
- the downside of course is that people who want to work on or play with
 the Emacs-24 branch will need to learn to use Git.

How does that sound?

Not good at all.  I don't want to waste my scarce time to learn Git,
in addition to Bzr.

OTOH, people like that love git -- and I get the impression there are
quite a few of us here -- would be ecstatic.

I _already_ use git for everyday read-only updates, so the rigamarole
of having to use other paths to commit things is just annoying... being
able to commit directly to git would be lovely.

I've been pretty happy with git so far. But I'm not convinced that being able to commit with git for a little while would be all that big a benefit if it goes away when the switchover happens. I would guess that at that point emacs-24 would become a bzr branch and the git mirror would be read-only?

Is there a good, working, supported git-bzr package that allows you to push changes to a bzr repository? (I've read of at least a couple git- bzr packages, but don't know yet if they're supported or any good.) If so, it may just be a matter of rebasing local branches from the git repo to the bzr one when the time comes, and write access would still work. If that's so, getting the write access sooner does sound enticing.

I suppose if bzr can read and write git repositories, that could also help; perhaps someone unfamiliar with git could make the jump from CVS to bzr now for emacs-24 work, and rebase local work onto "native" bzr when the official switchover happens?

Ken