Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:32:15 -0400

> So if a component doesn't fit it's iconified in some sense of that word?

No, what I tend to see (under X11) is that some X-windows just refuse to
be shrunk past a certain size.

A quick test shows that Firefox handles the issue by letting the
window-manager shrink the window at will (down to 1x1 pixels), but its
content stops shrinking at some point (so some of the content is
clipped).

OTOH Empathy and Evolution seem to impose some minimal size below which
the window doesn't shrink.  I don't know enough about the underlying
protocol to know how they might do that, but presumably it's either done
by telling the W-M beforehand what is the minimal size, or it's done
after the fact by "rejecting" the resize request.

Either way sounds good enough for me, so I don't see any need to ever
delete a window in response to a frame (or window) resize.

        Stefan