Re: Slow start-up on Git trees

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Slow start-up on Git trees
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 12:15:27 -0700 (PDT)

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Aug 19, 2009, at 5:11 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > >>
  > >> I find the delays very annoying.
  > >>
  > >> Can this not be called asynchronously?
  > >
  > > No, this is used to set the VC state for a file, which is needed as
  > > soon
  > > as a user is able to issue commands.
  >

  > Then use a semaphore.
  >
  > In most cases the user will not issue a VC command, but work with the
  > buffer.

I don't think it's worth it, so I have no interest in working on this,
but don't let that stop you from doing it.

  > That would also take care of annoyingly slow commits in CVS and other
  > operations over the network.
  >
  > I'm sure people must have thought of this at some point. But just in
  > case doing all these time-consuming VC operations synchronously is due
  > to the code being older than async process calls, I wanted to bring
  > this up.

Doubtful.  VC operations that do not change state are asynchronous (it
they are not, it's likely a bug/oversight).
Would commit make sense to be asynchronous?  Hmm, maybe, but until
someone sits down and does it we won't know.
Unfortunately VC is one thing that a lot of people like to talk about,
but very few actually want to do any work on.