Re: using libmagic in Emacs?

From: joakim
Subject: Re: using libmagic in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:35:47 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> Would there be interest in an Emacs patch for libmagic, or is there some
>>> obvious reason this havent been done yet? I envision this as being an
>>> inteface with 2 implementations, a lisp fallback like today, and
>>> libmagic if available. I did a libmagick wrapper for Ocaml using Swig
>>> before so I have some familiarity with the API.
>>
>> I think it's a good idea.  It may require some non-trivial changes on
>> the Lisp side, since libmagic's information is not quite the same as
>> what Emacs currently uses: we'll probably want to use libmagic to get
>> a MIME-type and then have a table mapping mime-types to major modes or
>> some such.
>
> This development would probably have to take place in a separate
> branch.

I will work in my local git repos, and publish a patch here, much like
the imagemagick patch and the xwidget patch. I can switch to bzr
whenever that works.

The core libmagic lisp api should, however, be rather stand-alone and
non-intrusive. Client code such as the image type recognition code can
then be ported sucessively.

--
Joakim Verona