Re: Reading D-Bus messages

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: Reading D-Bus messages
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:33:22 +0900

> Finally, it was sufficient to add the D-Bus file descriptors via
> add_keyboard_wait_descriptor. Thanks for pushing me into the right
> direction!

But again, the documentation of
dbus_connection_get_socket/dbus_connection_get_unix_fd says "DO NOT
read or write to the file descriptor, or try to select() on it; use
DBusWatch for main loop integration."  What you want to do is actually
a kind of "main loop integration", though it looks a bit different
from those in typical GUI toolkits.

Actually, I'm not sure how the above caveat is serious/critical.
Maybe you can ask at some D-Bus list.

>> As far as I browsed some D-Bus documents,
>> dbus_connection_set_watch_functions seems to have something to do
>> with this.

> DBusWatch uses its own select() loop. So it seems to be better to
> avoid it.

Perhaps you are looking at the code of the default (or sample)
implementation of the "main loop integration"?

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden