Re: moving window handling into lisp

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: moving window handling into lisp
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:26:54 +0200

> Not necessarily: it could be done by instructing the window-manager
> beforehand about the applicable resizing limits.

We'd have to consult Jan whether this can be done on a general base.

> I've often found
> windows that cannot be resized below some threshold (often dialog
> windows).  Try it with `evolution', for example: I can't make it
> narrower than 879 pixels.

But dialogue windows are handled specially by most WMs.  Personally, I
hate dialogue windows because they all too often cut off some text and I
can't get them show it.

>> I think we can live with deleting windows in that case and _not_
>> resurrecting them when the frame is resized.
>
> With window-managers that do "opaque resizing" (pretty much standard
> nowadays), that can be very problematic.

Because a window gets deleted when I shrink the frame and does not
reappear when I re-enlarge the frame?

martin