Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Why js2-mode in Emacs 23.2?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 12:22:21 +0200

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2009-08-10 09:54 +0100, CHENG Gao wrote:
>>> I seem to recall RMS said that sometime ago. It is also documented  in
>>> the elisp manual:
>>>
>>> ,----[ (info "(elisp)Hooks for Loading") ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> Best,
>>
>> It's in ELISP info manual, under "Emacs Lisp Coding Conventions".
>
> Yes. for convenience:
>
> ,----[ (info "(elisp)Coding Conventions") ]
> | * Avoid using `eval-after-load' in libraries and packages (*note
> |   Hooks for Loading::).  This feature is meant for personal
> |   customizations; using it in a Lisp program is unclean, because it
> |   modifies the behavior of another Lisp file in a way that's not
> |   visible in that file.  This is an obstacle for debugging, much
> |   like advising a function in the other package.
> `----

It strikes me as no more unclean than loading a package and then calling
any of its "public" interfaces. Since for sure the package maintainer
does not know what the end user has called or modified after it is
loaded regardless.

I fail to see the weakness in (pseudo code)

"After the package has loaded perform the following possibly time
consuming tasks"

compared to

"load the package and perform the following possibly time consuming
tasks".

other than the first one is likely much more efficient in terms of it being
autoloaded when needed.