Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Add file-locals and dir-locals
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 06:15:16 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 14:58:30 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> When dumping, is the granularity necessarily a complete file? Would it be
> feasible and worthwhile to have some kind of macro that could be wrapped
> around
> only those forms to be used when dumping (or only those forms not to be used
> for
> dumping)?

Dumping creates an Emacs executable that includes everything that was
loaded prior to dumping.  Technically, it's a more-or-less exact image
of the memory Emacs had.  So the only way to remove parts of the
loaded packages would be to unload those parts from memory.  We
currently have only unload-feature, which is not granular enough.  I
don't know how hard it would be to do what you suggest, but it doesn't
seem easy to me.  Maybe I'm missing some infrastructure.