Re: gcc 4.2 dump problems

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: gcc 4.2 dump problems
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 12:29:38 -0700 (PDT)

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Aug 6, 2009, at 2:24 PM, Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
  > > I don't use gcc-4.2 anymore, but I've never seen such problems with it
  > > on GNU/Linux while using it.
  > >
  > > How did you determine that gcc-4.2 is the problem?
  >
  > See Ian Eure's post to bug 3708 for this.  He installed GCC 4.2 on a
  > 10.5 machine and obtained similar results.

Sorry, there's too much noise in that bug, and from what I can see what
is there, it does not point to the fact that gcc-4.2 is the problem:

CFLAGS='-g -O0' CC=gcc-4.0 ./configure --without-ns --without-x
[snip]
dump failure.

So can you please summarize the info and try to go step by step:

1. find out if you find a machine where you have gcc-4.2 failing and
some other version of gcc working.
2. make sure that when using the 2 versions of gcc above only the
compiler is different, not the rest of the tools: assembler, linker, or
any libraries
3. if you have non-gcc-4.2 working, compile with it, remove temacs and
then link the same object files with gcc-4.2 and see if that works

Depending what you get above we can figure out what to do next.

Do not assume that people on this list are familiar with macs, or what
various commands to install packages actually do