Re: Darkening font-lock colors

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Darkening font-lock colors
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 02:10:33 +0200

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 1:54 AM, Drew Adams<address@hidden> wrote:
>> Maybe, but a good default is also good to have.
>
> Yes, a _good_ default. My point was that if you start trading off between
> accessibility, usability, and who-knows-what-else, the result might not be so
> good.

I have not talked about trading off. I have said the reverse that we
do not have to do that. We can meet the requirement for accessibility
(as specified by WCAG) and still have room for usability changes.

>> > 2. FWIW, I am against having both foregrounds and
>> I think it is helpful that makes for exampel comments stand out a bit
>> as I said because it holds those pieces of text together and a bit
>> apart from other text. This is the same use they often have in a web
>> page.
>
> We will agree to disagree. One person's stands-out-nicely is another person's
> annoying distraction.
>
>> However the color difference must be small otherwise the text with a
>> background color will perhaps stand out to much. I think there is a
>> balance between standing out too much or too little.
>>
>> In what way do you think it distracting?
>
> See above.

Yes, but if you tell me more I can maybe suggest something better.

>> > Also, they look odd when over trailing whitespace.
>>
>> I see no visual problem there. Can you tell me what you see?
>
> It won't convince you, but even without trailing whitespace, I find large
> chunks
> of faces with fg and bg to look odd against the page background. It's like
> putting boxes around each line of text. If it looks good to you, fine. Just
> one
> opinion.
>
> A face that has the same background (i.e. no background) as the page looks
> like
> text on the page. A face that has no foreground looks like highlighting. Both
> are good.
>
> A face that has a foreground and a background that is different from the page
> looks like a boxed heading. And a chunk of such text doesn't look like a
> rectangular text box. It looks like a set of Lego blocks, with varying right
> edges due to different line lengths.

It sounds like it looks very different on your display. Could you
perhaps show an image?