Re: Darkening font-lock colors

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Darkening font-lock colors
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 00:57:29 +0200

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Drew Adams<address@hidden> wrote:
>> I have found it surpisingly hard to find colors that have both good
>> luminance color contrast (accessibility, suggested by WCAG) and are
>> distinguishable and pleasant (usability). And then I did not even
>> consider color blindness (which I think should go on top of this).
>
> 1. The solution to that dilemna of contrasting needs is not a compromise. It
> is
> to offer 3 or more general settings. Themes, if you like, but it need not be
> as
> full-blown as themes. Even just 3 choices for a small set of default faces
> would
> be a good first step.

Maybe, but a good default is also good to have.

I think jumping into themes right away would just prevent good defaults.

> 2. FWIW, I am against having both foregrounds and backgrounds defined for
> faces
> such as font-lock faces, that is, for the default values. Distracting & ugly.

I think it is helpful that makes for exampel comments stand out a bit
as I said because it holds those pieces of text together and a bit
apart from other text. This is the same use they often have in a web
page.

However the color difference must be small otherwise the text with a
background color will perhaps stand out to much. I think there is a
balance between standing out too much or too little.

In what way do you think it distracting?

> Also, they look odd when over trailing whitespace.

I see no visual problem there. Can you tell me what you see?