Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Changes 2009-07-15/16 in branch?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:08:26 -0500 (CDT)

+ Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:

> We need to delete the "provider implementation" from Emacs 23.1.

Agreed, I think ... One of those menu items is Services -> Emacs.app
-> Send Email to Selected Address, which works. On the other hand,
what does NOT work, but really SHOULD (this falls into the "glaring
deficiency" category), is to let emacs handle a mailto: URL.

On the mac, one can declare that application A should handle URL
scheme U. By default, mailto: URLs are handled by Mail.app, so that
clicking on a mailto: link on a web page causes Mail.app to open a
new draft message addressed to the given address. If I change this to
let emacs handle it, clicking on a mailto: link does activate emacs,
but nothing more happens.

This is a "glaring deficiency" because, after all, clicking on mailto:
links on web pages is quite common, and if emacs cannot handle this,
we discourage users from using emacs for their mail.

Should I file a bug report requesting this feature?

- Harald