Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:05:24 +0200

>> Currently frame widths and heights can be only full columns and lines.
>> I suppose you have to "fix" this limitation when you want to tile a
>> frame into subframes.
>
> Dunno if it helps here (probably not), but I have code that tiles (normal)
> frames horizontally or vertically across/down the screen. The char-size
> precision limitation you mention is not, at least for that application,
> noticeable in practice. But I can see why it might matter more for "internal"
> frames, which must fit exactly.

I recall distracting gaps with Emacs 21 somewhere in the minibuffer,
especially when using maximized frames.

> FWIW, the code is here (commands
> `tile-frames-*'):
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/frame-cmds.el

Interesting.  But doesn't `tile-frames' tile in one direction only?
BTW, do you enlarge frames when changing fonts?  What are your
experiences with window manager interventions when using such layed-out
frames?

martin