Re: Infrastructural complexity.

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Infrastructural complexity.
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 03:27:12 +0200

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM, martin rudalics<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Whose going to handle that property?  The display-engine?
>>
>> I do not know how it is implemented so I can't say exactly how. What I
>> mean is that they should be handled by those part as they did not
>> exist. (That of course means for example jumping over them in some
>> lists etc.)
>
> That is you don't want to display these windows _and_ they should not be
> returned by `window-list' either.  I suppose that such things would have
> to be emulated by deleting windows and restoring saved configurations.

This can of course be done by just jumping over them. If that is worth
the effort is another matter.

>> Rotating the visual window structure. Transposing the visual window
>> structure.
>
> These would be possible only within certain well-behaved window
> configurations.  Hardly something for basic window handling routines.

Are there really any well-behaved window configuration when it comes
to rezising? Why should it be different when rotating or transposing?

I think they are easy to do once you have resizing code, but (I forgot
that before) they are really not possible without that.

I actually use these operations sometimes, but not very often. So
maybe they are not really worth the effort. (And they are already
available in winsav.el anyway.)