Re: Bazaar migration status?

From: Ken Raeburn
Subject: Re: Bazaar migration status?
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 04:45:13 -0400

On Jul 23, 2009, at 22:43, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
(And likewise for everyone downstream.)  After all, it will be in a
sense the same repository

To quote one of my less favorite Presidents, "There you go again!" :-)
See?  You're very willing to go with "I know they're the same, so, yo
git, what's your problem?"  I have no problems with humans saying
that, but it's the *last* kind of attitude we want our VCS to take!

In the general case I'd agree, but here we're talking about two conversions of the same repository -- one from cvs to git, and the other from cvs to bzr and then to git.

It is, except that the conversion from CVS is fraught with
nondeterminism;

Ah, I guess that's what I was missing....

That, I believe, is true.  But AIUI it's not because of inherent
nondeterminism in the conversion process being used, it's because CVS
suffers from nonatomic commits.  The history is continuously being
cleaned up (the conversion process tuned), so that in fact the
official bzr repository will have a different history from the
existing CVS->git mirror.

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I think I was assuming we'd have the same conversion process, without any tuning since whatever generated the git repo. But given that we're talking about conversion of the main, official repository, getting it done as well as possible this time makes more sense.

Ken