Re: Menu commands to M-x history?

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: Menu commands to M-x history?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 20:34:42 +0200

> Perhaps a better way of learning what command is on a button or menu
> item is to use help such as `M-x help RET k <Menu item> RET'.

I think that is enough too.

At first I kind of liked Lennart's idea. For example, sometimes I have
used the Edit -> Text Properties -> Foreground Color command and have
been wondering how to do the same from the keyboard (is it possible?)
but I think I would be annoyed having my precious M-x history filled
with things I did not expect. Quite often I execute the same M-x
command over and over again, doing something else in between, and if
what I did in between included executing some menu commands I might be
annoyed to have to step back some extra steps in order to get at the
command I want to run.

BTW, Lennart, you run Windows, right? Wouldn't your proposal be like
adding stuff to the Start -> Run prompt history whenever you ran
something from a shortcut on the Start menu? (hmm... hopefully you
would not like this, but who knows... :)

/Mathias