Re: One example of code I can't understand

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: One example of code I can't understand
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:59:41 -0400

>     Why do we need to cater to unibyte operation in Emacs 23?
> 1. Unibyte buffers may be needed for certain internal operations.  I
> am not sure -- we need to ask Handa.

Maybe Gnus maintainers would know better (it seems more related to Gnus
than to Mule).

> 2. As for editing of unibyte buffers by users, maybe nobody will mind
> if we get rid of that now.  But we should not eliminate it without
> first polling the users, to see who uses it and whether it is important.

Editing unibyte buffers is an important feature, which we use whenever
we edit binary files.  I see no need/reason to get rid of it.

In this area, there is something that we should eliminate, it's the
notion of a unibyte-session (which means something like forcing
default-enable-multibyte-characters to t, tho it's a bit trickier than
that since default-enable-multibyte-characters is sometimes let-bound
around buffer-creation in place of calling set-buffer-multibyte
explicitly after the creation).

        Stefan