Re: show whitespace problems by default in diff-mode

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: show whitespace problems by default in diff-mode
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:38:24 +0900

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> writes:
> Why not turn on whitespace-mode by default in diff-mode?  It makes
> spotting whitespace problems very easy, and will make it also easy to
> fix.

I guess, it's the same as with normal files:  some people are very
concerned with whitespace problems, but many do not care; for the
latter, whitespace indication would simply be annoying noise.

It's good if it's _easy_ to turn on, but it seems far less obvious that
it should be turned on by default.

[I know many in the git community seem quite obsessed with catching
whitespace problems in patches etc, but I've found git's various
whitespace-detecting frobs etc simply annoying (I don't know if it's
still turned on by default, but I had to actively disable it).]

-Miles

--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.