Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Blunderbuss ".dir-locals.el" raises everything in its path!!
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:47:53 +0200

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 8:38 PM, Stefan Monnier<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I think `message' should be improved to collect all messages coming
>>> in quick succession and display all of them appended to the echo area.
>
>> Certainly not as the default behavior. Perhaps as an alternative behavior.
>
>> There is lots of code, I'm sure, that depends on one message supplanting a
>> message, not a concatenation of the last several messages.
>
> Agreed, it needs to be a new function.
>
> Maybe we could create a new function (notify-user MSG &rest ARGS) which
> would return immediately but display something in the echo area (or at
> the end of the minibuffer) for (at least?) notify-user-time seconds.
>
> Several successive calls to it would just queue up messages that are
> later displayed in turn (probably with some sort of "compaction" feature
> so repeated messages don't bore the user to death).
>
> Maybe it should be integrated/combined with the display-warning facility.

This is a quite difficult problem. I think messages should be
classified someway. Now we have warning/message which are displayed
quite differently. We also have debug messages which does not appear
in the message buffer ("entered debugger ...").

- I think it should be integrated.
- Showing important messages as Juri suggested seems good, but
displaying everything that way is probably not good.
- Using colors for classified messages is probably useful. (They
should be kept in colors in the messages buffer too.)