Re: Should not syntax for ?- char be word in text mode?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Should not syntax for ?- char be word in text mode?
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:11:37 +0200

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 4:26 AM, Miles Bader<address@hidden> wrote:
> No.  Doing so would massively fuck with people's expectations.
>
> It's long-standing Emacs practice to distinguish between "words" and
> "symbols", where symbols typically include some extra punctuation such
> as "-".
>
> If I see "foo-bar" in _any_ buffer, including in text, I (and perhaps
> more importantly, my fingers) expect M-f to skip over foo, and stop at
> "-"; if I want to skip over the whole thing, I'll use C-M-f.  Using
> modes that violate this convention is extremely disconcerting (and
> inconvenient).  Text buffers are no different in this respect.

I think text buffers are different. You normally enter text there, not
programming symbols.

The reason it came to my mind is that I had to change this to get
Predictive to work with Company Mode. Predictive serves the user with
suggestions of English words. (It is supposed to be a
"spell-checker-while-you-write" and make it quicker to write long
words.) Many of these English words includes a hyphen.