Re: Pretest next week

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Pretest next week
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:40:37 +0100

On Jul 14, 2009, at 7:40 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Now I suppose we are at "just before the 23.1 release".  Will the NS
port be marked as experimental/hackers-only, or given a title of
"first-class" port as a part of the official release?

I believe it is considered "first class port". At least I do not think
it's "experimental".  [ Of course, the situation is completely
different for the GNUstep support ]

The long list of bugs (including crashes) suggests to mark it as experimental. We currently don't have enough people who contribute fixes. The port doesn't have release quality. Note that the port doesn't build on the developer-releases of OS X 10.6 (dumping fails), so it is likely that it won't build on 10.6 once it is out.

On the other hand, we don't want to discourage people to tinker with it since we want them to contribute code. So it would be important to get it out there for people to use.