Re: Willing to debug bug #3542 (23.0.94; File access via UNC path slow a

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Willing to debug bug #3542 (23.0.94; File access via UNC path slow again under Windows)
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:28:19 +0900

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> As said Andreas, this would stop at the first NUL, which may appear
>> within the string.
>
> But then a gazillion other places are buggy: we _do_ use SDATA(str) as
> a C string, and pass it to functions that will stop examining the
> string on the first null.  A random example:
>
>   d = opendir (SDATA (Fdirectory_file_name (encoded_dir)));

That's a limitation of opendir (and posix filenames in general), and
there's absolutely nothing we can do it (so there's no point in worrying
about that case), but we shouldn't introduce new limitations, since for
many other uses, NUL-containing strings are fine.

-Miles

--
Scriptures, n. The sacred books of our holy religion, as distinguished from
the false and profane writings on which all other faiths are based.