RE: C-x C-v considered harmful

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-x C-v considered harmful
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 15:26:14 -0700

> > This is the kind of thing for which it's good to both (a)
> > provide reasonable default behavior and (b) make it easy
> > for users to change/override that behavior. IOW, it's fine
> > to do something smart here, but that should not be hard-coded.
>
> This is already configurable via `set-process-query-on-exit-flag':
>
>   Specify if query is needed for process when Emacs is exited.
>   If the second argument flag is non-nil, Emacs will query
>   the user before exiting if process is running.
>
> We can just extend its semantics to "when Emacs is exited or
> a buffer is killed".
>
> This option is queried via `process-query-on-exit-flag'
> as you can see in the code I sent.

I have nothing to say about that, being ignorant.
Perhaps someone else has a comment.

However, you seem to be assuming that this is only about process buffers. It's
true that the OP's example was a *shell* buffer, which has an associated
process. But perhaps the inherent problem is more general?

I still wonder if being able to specify individual buffers (or classes of
buffers) for which confirmation is appropriate would not be a useful feature.
Dunno - as I said, I don't have a problem with the lack of a warning,
personally.