Re: Sending attachments

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 06:05:20 -0400

    Have you looked at rmailmm.el, which is part of Emacs?

    ;;; rmailmm.el --- MIME decoding and display stuff for RMAIL

Thanks for reminding me about this.

Etach has code for making attachments and for decoding attachments,
but they are separate in implementation.  If rmailmm is better for
decoding, we could install only the Etach encoding support.

I looked at, and tried, both rmailmm and Etach's mime decoding code.

I just tried rmailmm on a message which had a text part and an HTML
part.  It made a temporary buffer and showed both of them in it.  If I
changed it to put some separator between the two parts, it would be
usable.

etach-detach is more convenient because does one attachment at a time.
It also understands mime more.  For instance, it understands that the
text and HTLM are alternatives and you only want to see one.

I needed to make a few changes to get it to work with rmail-mbox, but
they were simplifications.  It now displays the textual attachments
right in the rmail view buffer.

I concluded that the etach-detach code is superior.  I think it should
replace rmailmm.  With a little more work I could give it a mode
of behavior similar to rmailmm, so as to make the replacement smoother.