Re: Sending attachments

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Sending attachments
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 21:16:57 +0300

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 12:44:00 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> > I think this is not really related to attaching files.
> > And this is out of scope for mail-mode, which (AFAIK) does not support
> > news.
>
> What exactly is the plan here?

There is no plan (yet).  I was just trying to estimate the effort
needed for adding simple attachment facility to mail-mode.  Plans, if
there will be such, will come later.

> Do we want to address the duplication between mail-mode and message-mode
> or not?

I don't know about ``we'', but _I_ don't.  I simply don't have enough
time for such cleanups, and don't think I know enough about Gnus and
message-mode to be a good candidate for the job anyway.

> Isn't this duplication a bad thing?

Probably, but we have lived with that since when Gnus was merged with
Emacs.

> Is adding layers and layers of poorly integrated leaky bandaids to
> mail-mode really the path we want to follow?

I have no idea why you thought I was about to add ``leaky bandaids''.
I didn't even say I'm going to write any code, let alone ``leaky''.
And I don't think I ever added to Emacs such low-quality code that
would justify you making such assumptions, should I decide to write
some code.