Re: C-x C-v considered harmful

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: C-x C-v considered harmful
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2009 20:05:47 -0400

    It's best to separate the concerns when analyzing the problem you ran into:
    consider both (a) the command behavior and (b) the key bindings. Whatever
the
    binding, is `find-alternate-file' dangerous? If so, then let's fix its
behavior.

It is somewhat dangerous _because_ it has a key binding.
We could try to fix its behavior, but maybe eliminating the
binding is easier.

    Fully half the reason I use `find-alternate-file' is to _kill_ the current
    buffer (mistaken file visit or not). I use `C-x C-f' when I want to keep the
    current buffer, and `C-x C-v' when I want to kill it. I wouldn't have
thought I
    was alone in that, but I'm beginning to get the impression that I might be.

Of course, getting rid of the current buffer is why one uses it.  The
question is whether it is sufficienty easier than C-x C-k RET and M-p
to justify giving it a key binding.

but